Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Port Royal, Islip


My hubby and I have visited the Port Royal restaurant several times in the past, but that was way before we became the ever so famous Long Island Dining Couple (LOL). At all of these prior visits we thought the food was pretty good. This restaurant was also on an episode of Adam Richman's Man Vs Food where they were known for their "Davey Jones Locker Seafood Challenge". As of last year the owners have changed and so has the interior of the restaurant along with the storefront and menu. The interior has a much warmer feel to it then before, we like the colors and the decor they chose. Now onto the food experience. Hubby and I like to share a lot of the appetizers and entrees so that we both get a variety of different dishes offered at each restaurant we visit. But tonight we ordered our own entrees and just split the appetizer. I know you are all saying to yourselves they went with the calamari again... sorry to break the trend. We always enjoyed their chili in the past so that was our pick this time. But this was a totally different take on it. I enjoyed this one over the old one, where my husband enjoyed it as well but he prefers his chili to have a spicy kick to it like the old chili did. Their homemade Texas BBQ Chili in a bread bowl consists of all meat and no beans. The meats are brisket, beef, smoked sausage and pork (wow what a combination). The flavor was extremely enjoyable even without the spicy heat and the bread bowl was excellent. We devoured that dish in no time. Hubby had the Royal Burger and I had the Fish N Chips for the main courses. Once again here his burger was cooked perfectly and very juicy. They added a Montreal Steak Rub of sorts in their meat mixture which gave it an entirely different flavor (not a good addition). I had also taken a bite and for me I was not happy with that flavor either. For the first time I actually had agreed and understood my husband's theory that a "good piece of beef does not require any seasonings, it just tastes better all on its own". My fish fry was done in a flaky beer batter which I liked; the fish was very moist and flaky. Sadly to say it was just too greasy for me and my husband thought so as well, it may have been cooked at the wrong temperature allowing the oil to soak in. Now for the dessert; we were going to just have coffee and call it a night but after looking at the desserts and then listening to our waiter say each one is phenomenal we went with a Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake. The first layer was a chocolate graham cracker crust then the second was a chocolate mousse and the final layer was white chocolate, this is not made in house and we could not convince the waiter to tell us where they get it. All I have to say is OMG!!! We polished that off faster than the chili. We can't wait to go back again just to try a different dessert.

They get 4 out of 5 forks this time.









No comments:

Post a Comment